Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Essential Jewish Library

The following seforim should be in every Jewish home. I list the editions I like.

Chumash - Mikra'os Gedolos
I prefer either HaMaor or Mossad HaRav Kook's Toras Chaim. Depends on my mood.

Nach
The new edition with the Malbim is very good. If you get a Malbim Nach, make sure it has the five Megillos - not all editions include it.

Mishnayos
The New Yachin U'Boaz edition is a pleasure to learn with. (I just finished Zevachim today!)

Shas
This is a tough one, but I think the new Oz V'Hadar edition is best. I don't know if the whole Shas has been published yet in this edition.

Rambam
The R' Shabsi Frankel edition of the Rambam is almost complete, and it is by far the best out there.

Tur
Compared to the old edition, Mechon Yerushalayim's edition is astounding in its clarity. Very much worth the extra money.

Shulchan Aruch
This is very subjective, but I think the new Friedman edition is best. The problem is that it is the most expensive, and it hasn't been completed yet. I buy each volume as I learn that topic.

Mishna Berurah
The old Blum edition is clearest, I think.

Igros Moshe
This is a very important sefer because it both demonstrates how to apply Halacha to current situations, as well as demonstrating the proper way to decide Halachic issues.

Minchas Yerushalayim Siddur
It could be a little more user-friendly, but I think this is the most complete siddur there is.

3 Comments:

Blogger defen said...

I've owned a Minchas Yerushalayim Siddur since I turned the cute little age of twelve.

As for the rest... I'll wait until there's a spouse in my life. :)

26/1/06 3:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shulchan Aruch

Friedman does not have Even Haezer.You have to add the Rosh Pina edition as the best shulchan aruch for that chelek.

14/2/06 5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog. The Toras Chaim Chumash is exellent if you don't have the individual issues of the Rishonim which have excellent footnotes and lead to further research, etc. I would add the Machon Yerushalayim Minchas Chinuch and the Mossad HaRav Kook Ritvas. If you can splurge, go for the new edition of the Tur for the same reason. These sefarim are superb editions that definitely anyone's ability to learn these important works . The Mimchas Yerushalayim Siddur is nice for all of the halachos, etc but I find the all Hebrew ArtScroll Siddur and its Machzorim very user friendly.

24/2/06 10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home