Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Berachos 4b

Gemara, discussing why according to the chachomim one may only say the Shema until midnight: "The Sages made a safeguard for their words. [Why?] So one shouldn't come from the field at night and say, "I'll go to my house and I'll eat a little, I'll drink a little and I'll sleep a little, and then I'll recite the Shma and daven." And he'll remain sleeping all night. Rather, a person who comes home from the field at night should go into shul, if he knows how to read Chumash, he should do that. If he knows how to learn Mishnayos, he should learn them. Then, he should recite the Shema, daven, eat supper, and recite Birchas HaMazon."

Besides being a blueprint for one's evening, this gemara contradicts a shitah brought by the Sha'ar HaTziyun in siman 238:1. "The Be'er Heitiv writes that one should not learn Chumash at night..." In our gemara we clearly see that if someone only knows how to learn Chumash he should learn it, and our gemara is specifically during the night.

[The Sha'ar HaTziyun continues that the Pri Megadim seems to be lenient in this regard; but even those who are stringent are not saying that it is an issur, rather that it is better to learn Chumash during the day. He also says that this concept is derived from a Medrash that says that Hashem learned Chumash with Moshe during the day, and Mishna at night.]

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting. The "prohibition" is, I believe, based on Kabbalah. But you seem to have found a source in nigleh to contradict it. Have you looked in any of the acharonim, like the Tzlach or the Gra's Imrei Noam?

Simcha

14/7/04 2:16 PM  
Blogger MYG said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

16/7/04 3:04 AM  
Blogger MYG said...

I looked through many acharonim, both on the gemara and on the Shulchan Aruch, including the Tzlach and the Imrei Noam. I did not find anything that sheds light on this. BTW, I appreciate your introducing me to the Imrei Noam, I had never heard of it before.
mslatfatf

16/7/04 3:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home